Thermometers come in a variety of types. They are used to measure the temperature of a gas, liquid or solid.
Liquid Filled Thermometers
- Calibration is insensitive to mechanical shock.
- Difficult to insert into processes
- Can not be recalibrated
- Easy to read
- Easy to insert into proceses
- Easy to recalibrate
- Calibration is sensitive to mechanical shock
- No contact is required
- Easily measures surface temperature of solids
- Only measures surface temperature
For Calibrating low temperature thermometers make a bath of distilled water and crushed ice. Stir this solution for a couple of minutes and your thermometer should read 32F or 0C. Adjust as necessary.
For Hi-Temperature thermometers boil distilled water. Your altitude will effect the temperature of boiling water.
At sea level adjust to 212F or 100C.
At 2000 ft adjust to 208F.
At 4000 ft adjust to 204F.
At 6000 ft adjust to 201F.
at 8000 ft adjust to 197F.
at 10,000 ft adjust to 194F.